Click4Assistance UK Live Chat Software Do I need a passport to travel to the Channel Islands?

01621 734111

Coronavirus update: Please bear with us whilst we work through bookings for Guernsey in date of travel order. We will be in touch with you at the earliest opportunity .

  • Couple in Jersey
  • Jersey beach
  • View of St Peter Port

Do I need a passport and ID to travel to the Channel Islands?

The Bailiwick of Jersey, the Bailiwick of Guernsey (Guernsey, Alderney, Herm and Sark), the Republic of Ireland and the Isle of Man are deemed as being in the Common Travel Area (CTA) and as such are free from immigration controls. Therefore British Citizens do not need a passport to travel from the UK to the Channel Islands, (unless you are planning to pop over to France for a day).

However, with immediate effect, Condor Ferries require photographic ID for check-in and boarding purposes. Unfortunately, without an accepted form of photo ID to show at check-in passengers will not be permitted to board. Children under the age of 16 can travel on domestic services without photo ID provided the accompanying adult can vouch for their identification.

car being opened by doorman at Revere Hotel, Jersey To comply with Condor Ferries regulations you will be required to show documents with photo ID to verify your identity. The following are acceptable:

  • A valid passport (i.e. in date)
  • An expired passport (domestic routes only, up to two years after expiry)
  • Valid EU or Swiss national identity card
  • Valid driving licence (full or Provisional are accepted)
  • Valid armed forces identity card
  • Valid police warrant card/badge
  • A child on parent’s passport is an acceptable form of ID
  • Citizen Card or Civilian Card, available from
  • Valid firearm certificate
  • Valid government-issued identity card
  • NHS SMART card
  • Electoral identity card
  • NUS card (National Union of Students)
  • University/college ID card
  • Company ID card of nationally recognised company
  • Council issued bus pass
  • Young Scot card
  • Disabled badges which have a photograph of the holder
  • Certificate of Competency issued by the government (domestic routes only, must be photographic)
  • VALIDATE UK PASS photographic proof of age cards
  • CPP Guernsey ID card
  • Guernsey 18+ card

Driving and those from outside the EU

If your photographic ID is from outside the EU you will not need a separate visa as you will already have permission to be in the UK but it is advisable to carry a letter from the home office validating your residential status. Citizen Cards are available at larger Post Office branches or download the forms here.

Don’t forget, if you are bringing your car on the ferry or if you plan to hire a car whilst on holiday you will need a valid insurance certificate covering the Channel Islands as well as your full photographic new style driving licence!